School Mental Health Specialist
NOTICE OF VACANCIES (Two) - 215 Days/Year
SCHOOL MENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION: To expand the availability and provision of mental health services and supports to K-12 students with mild to moderate mental health issues and coordinate with community mental health agencies to provide appropriate referrals for students in need of more intensive services. (This is a grant funded position)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
- Administer a comprehensive behavioral health assessment, including the use of validated screening tools, to determine students’ needs for specific psychological, health or related services.
- Develop a treatment service plan for students with behavioral, social, emotional, or mental health concerns with input from the student, school personnel, and parents/caregivers as appropriate.
- Coordinate with school leadership teams to incorporate and enhance mental health and behavioral services in a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS)/positive behavior interventions and supports (PBIS) framework.
- Obtain, integrate, and interpret information regarding a student’s behavior and supports necessary for success in school and life, and plan and management of mental health services.
- Assess the effectiveness of delivered services toward achieving student-driven goals and objectives.
- Assess needs for additional services, making referrals when appropriate to the Community Mental Health System.
- Provide crisis intervention and be an active member on school-based behavior intervention teams.
- Assist student and parents/caregivers in understanding student diagnosis, behavioral health needs, and support services offered.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance
- Maintain a professional personal appearance
- Adhere to district health and safety procedures
- Adhere to Board policies
- Maintain confidentiality
- Perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Master’s degree required. Prefer experience directly involved in providing mental health services in a school setting.
REQUIRED SKLLS AND ABILITIES: Consultation, training, group facilitation skills; skills working with diverse populations; problem solving and team building skills; ability to meet stringent deadlines; listening, verbal, and written communication skills, and presentation skills. Ability to communicate effectively; work in a team-oriented fashion; ability to efficiently use computer and applicable software; ability to problem solve; ability to read, analyze and interpret data and effectively present information in front of groups and engage in audience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Must possess one of the following certifications: A licensed master’s level psychologist, MDE credentialed master’s level school psychologist, or a limited licensed master’s level psychologist under the supervision of a licensed master’s level psychologist. A licensed master’s level social worker or school social worker, or a limited licensed master’s level social worker under the supervision of a licensed master’s level social worker. A LARA licensed master’s level professional counselor.
DATE POSITION IS OPEN: Immediately
DATE POSTING IS CLOSED: Until filled (Internal & External)
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please go to our website at www.calhounisd.org and click on the Employment tab to complete an online application. Cover letters should be addressed to Russ Claggett, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources, 17111 G Drive North, Marshall MI 49068