Special Education Teacher - MOCI (Moderate cognitive impairments)
To be considered for this position, you must apply online at www.kresa.org/jobs by 11/28/2019.
Teach basic academic and daily living skills to students with cognitive impairments in schools and community settings by performing the following duties:
- Plan curriculum and prepare lessons and other instructional materials according to ability levels of students.
- Confer with parents, administrators, psychologists, social workers and others to develop individual educational programs for students who are at different learning ability levels, including mild, moderate and severe cognitive impairments.
- Instruct students in academic subjects, utilizing various teaching techniques.
- Schedule, participate in and/or conduct Multidisciplinary Educational Teams (MET), Individual Educational Planning Team (IEPT) meetings to determine appropriate placement of students within education system.
- Instruct students in daily living skills required for independent living and economic self-sufficiency such as hygiene, safety, communication skills, pre-vocational skills, appropriate behavior and food preparation.
- Observe, evaluate and prepare reports on progress of students.
- Meet with parents to provide support and guidance in using community resources.
- Identify professional development programs and attend regularly to update expertise.
- Administer and interpret results of ability and achievement tests.
- Devise special teaching tools, techniques and equipment.
- Assist with supervision of classroom paraprofessionals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree. Michigan teaching certificate with endorsement/approval in Mental Impairment/Cognitive Impairment. Embraces and supports KRESA philosophies related to diversity, inclusiveness and anti-racism. Ability to interact effectively with individuals from a wide range of cultures. Ability to discuss cultural differences with colleagues and clients. Ability to assess one's own strengths and limitations or challenges and integrate this understanding into interpersonal interactions.
Ability to select and develop appropriate methods, skills and techniques attuned to people's cultural, multicultural or marginal experiences in their environments. Ability to effectively employ multicultural approaches in resolving problems.