Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Ingham Intermediate school district
Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Ingham ISD, Mason, MI
Salary Range/ Level:
$19.24 to $24.75 per hour
(commensurate with experience)
OPEIU 2019-20 Salary Schedule
Terms of Employment:
52 weeks/year, 5 days/week, 8 hours/day
Wednesday, October 30, 2019
Tuesday, November 12, 2019
A completed online application is REQUIRED. (See application instructions at
Ingham ISD under Employment.)
Resume and cover letter may be:
- Attached within the online application (preferred)
- Faxed: (517) 676-4294
- Emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailed: Ingham ISD, Human Resources
2630 W. Howell Road, Mason, MI 48854
Under the general direction of the administrator and in compliance with established policies, procedures and practices, performs a variety of tasks related to payroll, employee benefits and leaves for the Ingham Intermediate School District and/or constituent school districts. Please see website for full description.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Associates degree in business or accounting preferred.
- Three or more years of accounting, payroll and/or employee benefits work experience. School experience is preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of the local, state and federal regulations impacting the payroll and employee benefits function including, but not limited to, wage and hour laws, workers’ compensation, family and medical leave, and the like.
- Knowledge and understanding of generally acceptable accounting principles related to assigned functions.
- Interpersonal and communication skills necessary to provide courteous and accurate information to all levels of staff, students, parents, constituent school districts, community and state agencies, vendors and others. The incumbent is required to handle problem situations in a tactful, courteous and respectful manner.
- Written and computer skills necessary for the creation and compilation of various documents, communications and reports. The incumbent is required to effectively utilize a variety of software applications which may include but is not limited to word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, graphic design and database software applications. Advanced report writing and spreadsheet skills required.
- Accounting skills necessary to work with an integrated financial accounting system with the specific understanding of the effects of transactions and their impact on the financial records.
- Analytical ability to evaluate information and situations to determine the appropriate course of action without supervisor approval.
- Analytical ability and mathematical aptitude necessary to process transactions and identify and resolve a variety of payroll and benefit issues. Ability to interpret and apply multiple Union bargaining contracts is required.
- Ability to utilize discretion and sound judgment in handling confidential information and documents.
- Mental ability to adapt and respond to multiple priorities and demands, adapt to interruptions, work on several projects at the same time, work on tasks requiring accuracy and attention to detail, and handle pressures related to multiple deadlines.
- Physical ability to sit for extended periods of time working on a computer and to properly operate required office equipment.
- Work is in a normal environment where there is minimal or no physical discomfort.
Preceding data are intended to convey information essential to making fair pay decision about the job, and are not exhaustive lists of the skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with it.
Notice of Non-discrimination
It is the policy of Ingham Intermediate School District not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender/sex, age, disability, height, weight, marital status, or lack of English language speaking skills, in its programs, services or activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources, 2630 West Howell Road, Mason, MI, 48854. (517) 244-1289.