Assistant Principal (6-12) & Director of Athletics
LAKE CITY AREA SCHOOLS
Job Title: Assistant Principal (6-12) & Director of Athletics
Reports to: Principal
Primary Purpose: Assist the school principal in overall administration of instructional program, athletic program, and campus-level operations. Coordinate assigned student activities and services.
Education/Certification: Master’s degree and Administrative Certification
- Thorough understanding of school operations
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to coordinate campus support operations
- Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to evaluate instructional program and teaching effectiveness
- Ability to manage budget and personnel
- Ability to coordinate campus functions
- Ability to implement policy and procedures
- Ability to interpret data
- Strong organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Ability to coordinate and lead athletic programs
Experience: Administrative Experience Preferred. Three-Five years experience as a classroom teacher and coach.
Assistant Principal Responsibilities and Duties
1. Participate in development and evaluation of educational programs.
2. Encourage and support the development of innovative instructional programs, helping teachers pilot such efforts when appropriate.
4. Promote a positive, caring climate for learning – including the administration of a successful Positive Behavior Intervention Support Program.
5. Deal sensitively and fairly with persons from diverse cultural backgrounds.
6. Communicate effectively with students and staff.
7. Participate in the development of campus improvement plans with staff, parents, and community members.
8. Help principal develop, maintain, and use information systems to maintain and records to track progress on campus performance objectives and academic excellence indicators.
9. Observe employee performance, record observations, and conduct evaluation conferences. Serve as second evaluator for designated teacher evaluation system.
10. Assist principal in interviewing, selecting, and orienting new staff.
Administration and Fiscal/Facilities Management
11. Supervise operations in principal’s absence.
12. Help plan daily school activities by participating in the development of class schedules, teacher assignments, and extra-curricular activity schedules.
13. Supervise reporting and monitoring of student attendance and work with attendance clerk on follow-up investigations.
14. Work with department heads and faculty to compile annual budget requests based on documented program needs.
15. Requisition supplies, textbooks, and equipment; check inventory; maintain records; and verify receipts for materials.
16. Assist with safety inspections and safety-drill practice activities.
17. Coordinate transportation, custodial, cafeteria, and other support services.
18. Comply with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rule, and board policy.
19. Ensure that students are adequately supervised during non-instructional periods.
20. Help to develop a student discipline management system that results in positive student behavior.
21. Ensure that school rules are uniformly observed and that student discipline is appropriate and equitable.
22. Conduct conferences on student and school issues with parents, students, and teachers.
Professional Growth and Development
23. Participate in professional development to improve skills related to job assignment.
24. Articulate the school’s mission to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
25. Demonstrate awareness of school-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
26. Use appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
27. Other duties as assigned.
Athletic Director Responsibilities and Duties
1. Coordinate the 6-12 athletic program in collaboration with principal and coaches to ascertain programmatic needs on an annual basis, as well as prior to each season to ensure consistency of program.
2. Initiate the recruitment and selection of coaches and makes employment recommendations to the building principal.
3. Supervise and evaluates all coaches at the high school level.
4. Schedule all high school athletic contests, issues contracts for the contest, and maintains the proper and necessary records.
5. Ensure officials are scheduled and contracts are issued for all middle and high school contests. Maintains an active file of officials under contract and pays officials following the contact.
6. Arrange transportation for all away contests.
7. Supervise the preparation of, and verifies all, athletic eligibility lists.
8. Supervise middle and high school athletic contests and acts as the host to officials and visiting schools. Oversees the supervision of contest employees and volunteers who work the athletic contest. Arranges for personnel to supervise contests as needed.
9. Supervise athletic funds, prepare and administer a detailed operating budget for the athletic program and submit it to the building principal. Order all equipment and maintains a current inventory of all athletic equipment.
10. Advise and ensure all coaches conform with Board, MHSAA, league policies and regulations and with state and federal laws. Attend league and district meetings. Ensure all coaches have successfully competed required in-service programs.
11. Supervise and is responsible of preparation for home contests.
12. Provide leadership for and serve as liaison to school athletic booster groups and coordinate, with the coaches, the support group for specific athletic programs.
Share supervisory responsibility for professional staff with school principal. Supervise teachers, custodians, paraprofessionals, clerical personnel, coaches and others as assigned.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors: Maintain emotional control under stress. Work with frequent interruptions. Occasional district-wide travel; frequent prolonged and irregular hours.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Please submit letter of interest and resume to Dr. Timothy Hejnal, Middle/High School Principal. In addition to sending materials, please send an electronic message with your intent to email@example.com.