Special Education Teacher
Position Type: Union-TREA, Special Education Teacher
Date Available: 2019/2020 School Year
Building: Park Elementary
Reports to: Building Principal
To provide dynamic instructional services for students in the Park Elementary Special Education program.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education
- Must have Michigan Teacher endorsement for Elementary Special Education with Emotional Impairment endorsement.
- Demonstrate compliance as a “highly qualified teacher” as defined by the Michigan Department of Education.
- Previous teaching experience in a comparable district with students with special needs.
- Commitment to engage in professional growth and learning.
Qualified candidates should skillfully demonstrate the following:
- The ability to prioritize student-learning needs over the customs, routines, and established relationships that can stand in the way of necessary change;
- The strong desire to achieve outstanding results in a short amount of time;
- The strong desire and ability to build meaningful, caring relationships with students in order to exert academic press and influence;
- The skill and willingness to leverage the student support network to ensure that students’ social, emotional, behavioral, academic needs are addressed;
- The ability to collaboratively create and execute clear, logical instructional and positive behavioral support plans that produce strong results in student achievement;
- The capacity to rigorously create and sustain a well-orchestrated system of ongoing data collection and analysis to inform a continuously responsive and adaptive system of tiered instruction attentive to students’ specific academic needs;
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
- Develop schemes of work, lesson plans and tests that are in accordance with the district provided curriculum. Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction.
- Provide appropriate feedback on work.
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies and school regulations.
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and student needs.
- Observe and evaluate student's performance and development.
- Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments.
- Regular and reliable attendance is an essential job duty
- Other duties as assigned by the Building Principal.