High School Guidance Counselor
Nouvel Catholic Central High School is seeking a highly motivated, inspired, engaging professional to join our team as a High School Guidance Counselor. The ideal applicant should possess a degree in guidance and counseling, have or be able to obtain a School Counselor License (SCL) through the Michigan Department of Education. Experience interacting, assisting and supporting high school students and staff is preferred.
PURPOSE: Utilizing leadership, advocacy, and collaboration, school counselors promote student success, provide preventive services, and respond to identified student needs by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program that addresses academic, career, and personal/social development for all students in a faith based environment.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide counseling to high school students on issues including academic concerns, class scheduling and college planning.
- Help students choose the appropriate classes and class levels to help them reach their educational goals.
- Assist students with college planning including facilitating the college application and financial aid processes.
- Write student recommendation letters.
- Scheduling classes for new and current students.
- Meet with 8th grade parents and students in the spring to pick out 9th grade classes.
- Coordinate accommodations in the classroom for students who have an active IEP.
- Track a student's progress towards graduation and help them stay on track.
- Provide students with a safe place to talk and get information to help them make healthy decisions.
- Provide students with the resources to find long-term counseling outside of the school environment when needed.
- Monitor students’ progress and eligibility in Skyward.
- Meet with all 9th through 11th grade students to go over next year's scheduling process and course selection.
- Meet with all seniors in September to give them their senior "to-do" list. All the dates and deadlines for applying to colleges.
- Attend college visits with students and get information for students that are not able to attend.
- Continuously update Counseling Website www.nouvelcounseling.weebly.com .
- Acts as school coordinator for the administration of the state-mandated tests and the district's standardized testing programs; Including: PSAT 8/9, PSAT 10, 11 - PSAT/NMSQT, SAT, WORKKEYS, M-STEP and Advanced Placement tests.
- Order and process all testing materials.
- Make sure NCCHS is adhering to all the testing guidelines (everything from storage to proctoring).
- Assign testing proctors and room assignments to staff and students.
- Provides training for test administrators and proctors.
- Attend testing update seminars.
- Give class presentations on the gamut of standardized tests and their results.
- Meet individually with students and parents to help interpret test results.
- Set-up and give practice SAT test to any 11t h grader, also host and attend results night with test prep agency.
- Set-up junior test prep sessions and monitor student progress.
- Meet one on one with parents, at their request
- Available at Parent/Teacher conferences
- Organize and conduct class parent information and financial aid nights throughout the school year
- Serve as a liaison between parent and teacher when necessary
- Provide Skyward passwords via the telephone or in person to both parents and students
- Set up online scheduling sessions for students.
- Build Master Schedule each year.
- Review course tally sheet with principal and assist with assigning sections and teachers.
- Interdepartmental collaboration on solving skyward issues for staff, students and parents.
- Assist with summer District rollover.
- Attend yearly financial aid workshop put on by the state of Ml.
- Attend yearly Counseling and College Conferences i.e.: ACT Workshop, Promoting the Publics.
- Coordinate student scholarship opportunities and post on website.
- Assist with and give seminars on various topics such as Healthy Relationships, Spring Break Safety.
- Participate and assist with special ceremonies i.e. Honors Assembly, Graduation and Baccalaureate.
- Coordinate and support the SVSU GLBRY Leadership Program.
- Substitute in the classroom/offices as needed.
- Update and regulate courses through the NCAA clearinghouse (student athletes).
- Manage the course guide- request updates from teachers and get new courses approved.
- Administer and score 8th grade placement test.
- Provide scholarship review, recommendations, assistance and guidance
- Sign work permits.
- Organize student Work Based Learning forms and monitor student progress.
- Work with the Saginaw Career Complex to provide opportunities for our students.
- Assign lockers, and rotate combinations each summer.
- Assign lunch hours based on class sizes.
- Send out and monitoring summer school/credit recovery for students that need to make up classes.
- Complete additional duties as assigned
Interested candidates should submit the following materials:
- Letter of Introduction explaining your interest and qualifications
- Current Resume
- Names, email addresses, and phone numbers of two to three references and/or two letters of reference
- Complete the Diocese of Saginaw application for employment
Submit documents via:
Email to: Daniel Decuf, Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail to: Nouvel Catholic Central High School
Daniel Decuf, NCCHS Principal
RE: Guidance Counselor
2555 Wieneke Rd.
Saginaw, MI 48603
Review of applications will begin immediately. Open until filled.