MIDDLE SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER
MIDDLE SCHOOL SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' knowledge of history; to foster an understanding and appreciation of world cultures, languages, racial, ethnic and religious groups, and political systems.
- Develops and administers History curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop unit organization around historical problems.
- Teaches knowledge of history from early to modern historic periods, incorporating into history lessons the related subjects of political science, economics, sociology, geography, and anthropology within a historical context.
- Promotes the formation of attitudes and skills that will enable students to analyze intelligently the world around them so that they can be constructively participating members of a free society predicated on the rule of law.
- Fosters an understanding of the continuity and patterns of human behavior through the ages, an understanding of humanity's major problems and approaches to their solution(s).
- Demonstrates the manner in which the past provides a comparative basis from which to evaluate the nature of current issues and predict courses of action for the future, with cross reference to contemporary matters of importance.
- Develops students' research skills, through a variety of reading and writing assignments to stimulate self-reliance in problem-solving through effective utilization of library materials.
- Promotes students' critical analysis of the effect media has on the flow of information and shaping of public discourse, and encourage students to seek out and compare alternative sources of information concerning the key issues of their world.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school`s standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent. Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of history in a variety of sub-topic areas, including geography, sociology, economics, political science, systems of government, anthropology, responsible citizenship, and humanities.
- Knowledge of humanity's major problems and approaches to their solution(s) in the past.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
- MI State Certification as a History Teacher. Prefer CC/CD/RX Certification
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment. - Masters Degree preferred.
Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
Terms of Employment:
Work year and salary commensurate with the SHPS Teacher Contracts.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the SHPS Teacher Evaluation System.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: Competitive Salary/Benefit Package available
Deadline to Apply: Internal until 09/06/2019 External until filled.
To Apply: Application Found at www.shps.org or http://www.applitrack.com/shps/onlineapp/_application.aspx
Questions: Cathy Pyle, Human Resources Department Email: email@example.com or Phone: 269-637-0544
Condition of Employment: Fingerprinting is required for all new school employees
South Haven Public Schools shall not discriminate in its policies and practices with respect to compensation, terms or conditions of employment because of age, race, color, national origin, marital status, disability, handicap, physical characteristic, sex, religious belief, sexual orientation, political beliefs, cultural identity, socioeconomic status, familial status and genetic information.