Executive Administrative Assisitant
Buchanan Community Schools:
Executive Administrative Assistant to Superintendent
Buchanan Community Schools is welcoming applicants for an Executive Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent. The Executive Administrative Assistant performs all administrative support duties required for the Superintendent and Board of Education, under the direct supervision of the Superintendent. This position requires knowledge of district procedures and policies, the ability to assume responsibility, work effectively and independently under pressure and maintain confidentiality.
The desired candidate must possess the following attributes:
• Demonstrated aptitude and ability for successful performance of the Essential Functions listed.
• Outstanding usage of technology, Microsoft Office, and Google appropriately and efficiently.
• Knowledge of PowerSchool and Skyward software system preferred.
• Exhibits listening, patience, caring and empathy when relating to staff and community stakeholders.
• Skills in effective oral and written communication with a high degree of accuracy.
• Organize ideas, time, materials and space with attention to details to accomplish goals & meet deadlines.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality on all matters for the Board and Superintendent.
• Ability in taking and preparing minutes of evening Board meetings and regular committee meetings.
• Ability to work independently, cooperatively, exercise judgment and creativity, and willingness to work with others as a team.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure from the public, workload, and employees.
• Ability to work extended hours for attendance at evening board meetings.
• Exceptional communication, analysis, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Ability to handle complex and stressful issues or situations with sound judgment, common sense, and a calm demeanor.
• Impeccable character, a good sense of humor, and compassion for students, their families, and staff.
Eligible candidates must meet the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree or qualifying successful experience that may substitute for educational requirements.
• School district experience within a central office environment is preferred.
• Willingness to sustain and grow a safe school climate of diversity and inclusiveness.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Act as liaison between the Superintendent, Central Office, Administrative Team, Board of Education, and others in the district and community.
• Assist the Superintendent, as directed, in critical communication with Board members; assist in maintaining positive Board relationships.
• Prepare all materials for the Board, including materials for regular and special meetings, study sessions, and closed hearings. Set up for and attend Board meetings, take and prepare minutes. Maintain regular communication with all Board members. Keep MASB Board member information current.
• Maintain Superintendent’s calendar, establishing priorities at own discretion; facilitate and screen internal and external appointments, schedule and coordinate meetings; ensure that all official obligations are met.
• Make all necessary arrangements for travel and conferences for Superintendent and Board members.
• In the absence of the Superintendent, coordinate with designee during crises or pressing situations.
• Receive visitors and calls maintaining a helpful, positive demeanor. Use discretion to determine those which are to be handled by the Superintendent, as well as those delegated to a subordinate or other department. Initiate and/or draft, prepare, and distribute a variety of documents, including but not limited to letters, memos, e-mails, acknowledgements, notices to staff, forms, and reports; sign specified correspondence on behalf of the superintendent.
• Maintain official files and retrieval systems of the Superintendent and Board of Education.
• Reconcile expenditure reports for payment.
• Receive incoming mail, determine priorities and forward to the proper person for response.
• Assist in maintaining current Board of Education policies and procedures. Provide general coordination for community relations; review articles; design brochures as needed; review, approve all outside flyer distribution requests.
• Prepare Board of Education meeting agendas and packets.
• Maintain regular attendance; adhere to District practice regarding attendance and leaves of absence.
• Foster positive community relations over time.
• Build trust and ongoing positive relationships with constituents.
• Perform the above and other related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position with strict confidentiality.
• Title: Executive Administrative Assistant to Superintendent
• Reports to: Superintendent
• Calendar: 2019-20 Fiscal Year, 52 week position
• Compensation: Salary commensurate with the credentials and experience of the candidate; tentative salary range is $37,000 to 42,000
• Posting date: May 2, 2019
• Application deadline: Until Filled
Applicants for the position should submit the following documents using our online application located on the Buchanan Community Schools’ website and accessing the Employment link. Uploading documents is acceptable as one file of all scanned documents together in the area of Application Materials or as separate titled uploads in the specified areas of Application Materials and References within the online application. Please be sure to upload the following documents:
• Letter of interest detailing the manner in which the candidate meets the qualifications and desired attributes for the position
• A current resume with reference contact information
• Unofficial photocopies of any university/college transcripts
• Two current (within the last three years) letters of recommendation
Application and supporting materials should be submitted using
Buchanan Community Schools’ online employment link:
Application materials should be addressed to:
Timothy J. Donahue
Superintendent of Buchanan Community Schools
401 W. Chicago St.
Buchanan, Michigan 49107
Questions about the position or the district can be sent to Mr. Donahue at: email@example.com
BUCHANAN BOARD OF EDUCATION
STATEMENT OF ASSURANCE OF COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL LAW
The Buchanan Community Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, (including sexual orientation or transgender identity), disability, age, religion, height, weight, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, (collectively, "Protected Classes"), in its programs and activities, including employment opportunities. Coordinators for Affirmative Action and review of Federal requirements are as follows: Section 504 and ADA, Karin Falkenstein (Ottawa Early Childhood Principal, 695-8409): Title IX, Title VI and Civil Rights, Brian Pruett (H.S. Assistant Principal, 695-8404).