Early Childhood Special Education Teacher (ECSE)
Buchanan Community Schools:
Early Childhood Special Education Teacher (ECSE)
Ottawa Elementary School
Buchanan Community Schools is welcoming applicants for an Early Childhood Special Education Teacher at Ottawa Elementary School. The district seeks qualified applicants to assist assigned students in the areas of self-care skills including toileting needs, health needs, prescribed behavioral management program providing redirection for task attention, remedial instructional support, clerical organizational needs, housekeeping duties, student supervision where assigned and when necessary, and the mobility needs of the students as needed.
The desired candidate must possess the following:
- Successful experience with the use of a wide variety of behavior strategies and techniques as well as a data collection protocol for behavior concerns
- Experience teaching children (0-5 years of age)
- Successful experience teaching students with a variety of disabilities: AI, EI, MiCI, SLD
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
- Ability to handle complex and stressful issues or situations with sound judgment, common sense, and a calm demeanor
- Impeccable character, and compassion for Special Education students, families, and district staff
Eligible candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree minimum
- Valid teaching certificate and meet requirements of R340.1795 in Michigan's Rules for Special Education
- An endorsement in both early childhood and special education
- A major or minor in early childhood growth education or child growth and development and a special education endorsement with a full approval from the department of education
- An endorsement with a designation of ZS (early childhood general and special education)
- Demonstrated competency with Illuminate (online special education monitoring system)
- Must meet Michigan Highly Qualified standards for ECSE
- Punctual and rarely absent work habits
- Develop, implement, and monitor individualized instructional programs (IEP’s) for each student on their caseload.
- Actively participate in REED and IEP meetings.
- Analyze and then use data from student IEP goals and objectives. Applies current research and theory to classroom instruction.
- Develops positive relationships with administration, colleagues, parents, and students. Cooperative team player in any group setting.
- Communicates regularly and effectively with parents, staff and students
- Conduct ongoing periodic formative and summative evaluations of each student's progress and make recommendations concerning curriculum areas to be emphasized and needed accommodations.
- Develop and maintain appropriate academic and behavior record keeping to inform parents and the general education staff in a timely manner of a student’s progress in these areas.
- Provide supervision and direction to students’ aides. Organize and plan strategies for teacher aides to use.
- Participate in extracurricular activities that are a part of the total educational experience for all children.
- Participate in school committees events and programs designed to improve/enhance the overall school/district program.
- Title: Early Childhood Special Education Teacher – Ottawa Elementary School
- Reports to: Ottawa Elementary School Principal & Special Education Supervisor, Mrs. Karin Falkenstein
- Starting date: August 26, 2019
- Calendar: 2019-20 school year, 185 teacher days
- Compensation: According to union contract, full benefit package offered
- Posting date: May 2, 2019
- Application deadline: Open to internal and external applicants until filled.
Applicants for the position should submit the following documents using our online application located on the Buchanan Community Schools’ website and accessing the Employment link. Uploaded documents is acceptable as one file of all scanned documents together in the area of Application Materials or as separate titled uploads in the specified areas of Application Materials and References within the online application. Please be sure to upload the following documents:
- Letter of interest detailing the manner in which the candidate meets the qualifications and desired attributes for the position, addressed to Karin Falkenstein, Ottawa Elementary School Principal & District Special Education Supervisor.
- A current resume with reference contact information
- Unofficial photocopies of all university/college transcripts
- Two current (within the last three years) letters of recommendation
Application and supporting materials should be submitted using
Buchanan Community Schools’ online employment link:
Application materials should be addressed to:
Ottawa Elementary School Principal
District Special Education Supervisor
401 W. Chicago St.
Buchanan, Michigan 49107
Questions about the position or the district can be sent to Mrs. Falkenstein at: email@example.com
BUCHANAN BOARD OF EDUCATION
STATEMENT OF ASSURANCE OF COMPLIANCE WITH FEDERAL LAW
The Buchanan Community Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, (including sexual orientation or transgender identity), disability, age, religion, height, weight, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, (collectively, "Protected Classes"), in its programs and activities, including employment opportunities. Coordinators for Affirmative Action and review of Federal requirements are as follows: Section 504 and ADA, Karin Falkenstein (Ottawa Early Childhood Principal, 695- 8409): Title IX, Title VI and Civil Rights, Brian Pruett (H.S. Assistant Principal, 695-8404).