Assistant Director of Finance and Business Operations
RESPONSIBLE TO: The Director of Finance and Business Operations.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- One (1) Full-time position, 260-day position.
- Salary: $91,800 - $102,306.
- Competitive compensation package with salary commensurate with the education and experience of the candidate. A two-year contract with provisions for annual review and evaluation will be offered. A fringe benefit package is offered which includes health, dental, vision, life, and long term disability insurances.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Assistant Director of Finance and Business Operations will be responsible for the planning and supervision of all business operations and finances for the district.
- Supervise and develop the following, including compliance with all State and Federal regulations and reporting requirements:
- Payroll operations.
- Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable operations.
- Financial Coordinators, including all of the grant programs in the general and cooperative education funds.
- Responsible for the proper recording of all transactions in all funds in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and State regulations.
- Responsible for coordinating District purchasing activities.
- Responsible for maintaining a cash management system for the district; including cash flow projections, investing, billing, and receivables management.
- Accounts for the financial transactions of the district. Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transactions.
- Responsible for fiscal management of special education, including:
- Grant accounting and reporting.
- Consulting with the local school districts and SISD staff to coordinate staffing recaps to ensure all special education staff, both at the SlSD and at the local school districts, are properly classified.
- Medicaid reporting requirements, including internal reporting as well as reviewing and assisting LEAs in their process.
- Monitor and disseminate appropriate information concerning special education requirements and grant requirements.
- Generate billing invoices to local school districts for services the SlSD provides.
- Reviewing and monitoring Maintenance of Effort, SE-4096 (special education cost report) and SE-4094 (special education transportation report).
- Responsible for working with the departments to ensure special education requirements are being followed.
- Answer accounting code structure questions from departments.
- Assist the Director of Finance and Business Operations with the following:
- Budgeting activities, including budget development and long-range financial planning.
- Recommending the selection of all benefit carriers, negotiation of premiums and services and evaluation of most effective method of providing each benefit.
- Preparation of special reports and studies and execution of projects.
- Recommending the selection of carrier or method of providing all District property and liability insurance, including negotiation of premiums and evaluating the level of coverage and most cost-effective programs.
- Annual audit preparation.
- Performs additional responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Finance and Business Operations.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting.
- CPA or MBA preferred. Previous work experience related to the essential job functions will be considered in lieu of CPA degree.
- Familiarity with the Michigan School Accounting Manual and comprehensive understanding of Michigan laws, rules and guidelines governing school finance.
- Ability to plan, direct and evaluate the work of others. Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively work with staff, students, parents and members of the community and people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work in a decision-making system that utilizes teams and collaborative processes. Previous experience desirable.
- Experience preparing grant requests, working in MEGS+ and MEIS.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to have a positive attitude in working with students, parents, other staff members, and community members.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and perform tasks with limited supervision.
- Ability to use technology in completing job duties.
- Knowledge and experience in financial auditing.
- Working knowledge of annual financial audit requirements for State/Federal reporting.
- Working knowledge of OMB Circulars preferred.
- High level of decision-making abilities required.
- Ability to deal with constant and diverse changes in daily job responsibilities.
- Ability to work within district timelines.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applicants must complete and submit an online Saginaw Intermediate School District application. In addition to the online application, applicants are required to submit electronically a cover letter, resume, at least three (3) letters of recommendation, and copies of transcripts. An application may be obtained online by going to the SISD web site at: www.sisd.cc and clicking on “Employment” section.
Job ID: 2299