Sign Language Interpreter
Wage: $16.60 per hour
A Sign Language Interpreter (SLI) is needed in the Midland Public School District. This is a full time Educational Interpreter position. The SLI will be working one-on-one with a student.
Requirements of the Sign Language Interpreter (Educational Interpreter):
Qualified candidates should have one of the following:
- Appropriate certification in the State of Michigan
- A most qualified candidate will have an EIPA of 4.0 or higher
- Any other qualifying certification
Duties and Responsibilities of the Sign Language Interpreter (Educational Interpreter):
- Accompanies deaf student throughout the day to classes and interprets spoken language. Works with classroom teacher to interpret instruction and to follow IEP.
- Tutors student individually as necessary in a variety of learning activities; promotes student understanding of materials presented. Reinforces and reviews concepts and skills.
- Assists teacher in monitoring deaf student’s behavior.
- Acts as role model to demonstrate appropriate behavior to students; assists teacher in maintaining a classroom atmosphere conducive to learning.
- Will interpret at parent conferences or other meetings as necessary.
- Interprets/translates into sign language all appropriate activities in the classroom and other educational settings. Includes, but not limited to discussions, films, special projects, assemblies, field trips, and athletic activities.
When applying for a position with the Midland Public Schools, interested candidates must complete an application in order to be considered an official applicant. To complete the application process, you will need to complete the online application at www.midlandps.org. Your application will be retained in active status for one school year. If your qualifications meet our needs, we will contact you for further information and a possible interview. Please do not send paper documents! When completing your application, you will submit your documents electronically. If you cannot upload your documents, be prepared to provide this information should you be called for an interview. Note: You assure that we have a complete record of your candidacy if you upload all materials yourself.
Thank you for your interest in the Midland Public Schools.