High School Band Director
Job Description: High School Band Director
1. A Bachelor’s Degree in education, JX endorsement in Music Education K-12
2. A valid Michigan teaching certificate.
3. Strong communication, both oral and written, skills are required.
4. Strong interpersonal skills are required to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students, parents and members of the community.
5. Thorough knowledge of musical instruments and band director practices and procedures.
6. Thorough knowledge of the principles and methodology of effective teaching.
7. Possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
8. Practicing Catholic preferred.
9. Any other qualifications deemed appropriate by the Board.
This position is responsible for establishing and leading a successful high school Marching Band and Concert Band. This position shall not only be responsible for development of an effective marching and concert band but also, the promotion of self-discipline, character, teamwork, leadership, citizenship, responsibility, academic excellence and leadership. The Band Director is expected to provide the leadership and support for the Catholic Mission and Identity. The primary duties of this position will be to instruct and manage the high school instrumental music program; promote school spirit through musical performances; and encourage student participation.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
1. Public performances.
2. Band practice and interscholastic/school performances.
3. Student conduct and discipline.
4. Band equipment & music library maintenance.
5. Student enrollment and participation.
6. Public relations.
1. Instructs and plans the high school instrumental music program.
2. Maintains and purchases instruments, music library, equipment and facilitates repair services when needed and in conjunction with administration.
3. Ensure proper conduct and discipline of all student members of the band.
4. Establishes and maintains rapport with students and encourages student enrollment and participation.
5. Motivates students to achieve maximum potential.
6. Provides opportunities for and supports student involvement in the promotion of school spirit.
7. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
8. Works collaboratively with staff, families, and community resources.
9. Organizes and leads appropriate summer practices to prepare for school year activities and football season.
10. Organizes and leads after school practice sessions in preparation for Homecoming, Football games, Concerts, Pep Assemblies and other activities.
11. Prepares an entertaining halftime show for fall football games consisting of marching and music that are consistent with community standards.
12. Coordinates publicity with Advancement for band activities, notifying staff/ families of all activities scheduled by the Band Program.
13. Ensure band performs a winter music concert, spring music concert, and at graduation exercises.
14. Ensure student band members are uniformly dressed for all public appearances.
15. Interacts with the Elementary School Band Director to ensure consistency in instructional achievement between the school levels.
16 .Complies with and supports all relative employer regulations and policies
17. Performs any other duties assigned by Principal.
The Band Director at Nouvel Catholic Central High School is an afternoon part-time position.
Interested candidates should e-mail a Cover Letter, Resume and References to Mr. Mark Frost, President/Principal, Nouvel Catholic Central Schools or please call 989-399-2221 to express your intent to be considered. The deadline is the close of business Friday, October 12, 2018.