English Teacher - NexTech High School of Lansing
NexTech High School of Lansing is currently hiring for a English Teacher for 2018-2019 school year. Must have a valid Michigan Teaching Certificate and endorsement in BA.
Competitive Medical, Dental, and Vision BCBS plans with a low employee contribution. 5% Employer 401K Match. Life, ADD, STD, and LTD 100% paid by employer!
Are you an educational dreamer, believing all students will be inspired learners in the right environment? Are you looking to transform yourself, the students you will serve, as well as the broader educational landscape? Do you want to join a passionate and collaborative faculty who continuously strive to make a better school?
Blended learning is the cutting-edge combination of face-to-face and online learning that provides students with a “greater than the sum of its parts” educational experience. Working from NexTech High School of Lansing, the certified teacher will supervise and coach students in a face-to-face setting as they utilize online curriculum and instructional support. The teacher will be responsible for identifying students who need additional support in English courses, based on performance data in Connexus. The teacher will actively facilitate whole group, small group, and individualized instruction to students, based on need. All instruction will support, and be aligned, to the students’ online coursework and the Common Core State Standards. Teachers will work with students to meet the goals in their Personalized Learning Plan, and ensure that each student successfully completes his/her instructional program.
At NexTech High School of Lansing, located in Okemos, teachers and students spend their day in an open environment that was specifically designed to mirror the contemporary work world where students are expected to manage their time and build independent and collaborative work skills.
NexTech embraces the Small Schools Initiative, serving approximately 300 students who work closely with a teacher-advisor to monitor their progress and to tailor their school experience to meet their individual needs and interests.
• Develop in-depth knowledge of all English courses and applicable supplemental/support resources for grades 9-12;
• Monitor academic progress;
• Support the online instructional program through differentiated learning activities aligned to students’ strengths and weaknesses;
• Grade student assignments, create progress reports and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner;
• Tutor struggling students and accelerate advanced students, in small groups or one-on-one;
• Review online curriculum and devise alternate approaches to presenting lessons to increase student understanding (working directly with students and parents);
• Support students with alternate strategies and provide additional assistance with daily assignments and projects;
• Communicate with administrators, parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments and coach special projects;
• Work collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program;
• Create opportunities for students to participate in project-based learning activities that align to their courses and the Common Core State Standards;
• Support students with Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) by using specific materials/methods and/or material modifications identified in the IEP;
• Log key student and parent contacts;
• Participate in the organization and administration of State Testing, as directed;
• Participate in student recruiting sessions and other marketing efforts that require teacher representation;
• Support student needs by being available for occasional evening hours; and
• Other duties as assigned.
We are looking for talented, collaborative, and reform minded educators who are passionate about teaching and creating the environment where everyone can achieve at high levels. If you are interested in being part of our team at NexTech High School of Lansing, please visit www.partnersolutionsmi.com
• Highly qualified and certified to teach Secondary English in Michigan
• Equally passionate about content area and educating teenagers
• Strong preference for small group and one on one instruction versus whole group
• Experience and demonstrated interest in working with youth (both strivers and strugglers) in a diverse urban environment
• Experience working in a school or other educational environment
• Strong multi-cultural skills
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Customer focused approach
• High degree of flexibility
• Demonstrated ability to work well in an innovative, fast paced environment
• Team player track record
• Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing
• Ability to work remotely, if necessary
Note: In order for your application to be considered for a teaching position you must attach the following supplemental documents on the next page of this application: Signed and notarized teaching certificate (front and back), MTTC test scores, copy of your college transcripts.