Assistant Principal / Dean of Students
Kalamazoo Public Schools
Assistant Principal/Dean of Students
Loy Norrix High School
2018-2019 School Year
The mission of the Kalamazoo Public Schools is to nurture the dreams of all students and empower all students to contribute to a better world.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The position of Assistant Principal/Dean of Students provides building leadership and assistance to the building principal in all aspects of building management, but with particular duties in creation of the high school Master Schedule, enrollment and scheduling of students. The Assistant Principal/Dean of Students organizes and directs the guidance program of the high school.
1. Assists with the planning, implementation, and evaluation of educational staff and programs.
2. Organizes and directs the guidance program at the high school.
3. Directs enrollment, registration, and scheduling of new students.
4. Supervises and assists in the development of the master teaching schedule.
5. Implements the district program for testing of students.
6. Initiates and maintains contacts with institutions of higher learning.
7. Supervises the work of counselors and other professional and classified employees as assigned.
8. Administers district policies concerning academics, discipline, and attendance.
9. Assures the safety and welfare of students.
10. Assists with planning and implementation of programs for parent groups, staff, and community agencies, and promotes positive public and school-community relations.
11. Supervises support programs such as food services, bus loading, lunch supervision and transportation as assigned.
12. Assists with the management and care of the school plant equipment and materials.
13. Supervises extra-curricular activities.
14. Assists with accreditation activities.
15. Assists with the planning and supervision of a balanced student activities program.
16. Administers building and district programs for vocational and career-education preparation and placement with (1) comply with Title IX and XII, (2) provide nontraditional opportunities for females, and (3) provide quality experiences for impaired students.
17. May serve as lead building administrator in the absence of the principal.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in administration, supervision, curriculum or related areas.
- Meet or be willing to meet the State school administrator’s certification or continuing education requirement.
- Demonstrate advanced skills in computer utilization of educational materials and scheduling.
- Demonstrate advanced organizational and communication skills with students, parents and staff.
- Must possess a positive work history.
1. Three years of successful teaching experience or related experience with students preferred.
2. Graduate credits in pupil personnel administration, testing, vocational guidance, special education or communications.
3. Successful experience in a multicultural urban school district.
4. Knowledge and experience of human service agencies.
5. Knowledge of performance assessment, curriculum development and learning styles.
6. Ability to supervise and coordinate the work of others.
7. Demonstrated skill in working with groups and individuals.
Interested applicants should apply online and attach their application to this posting.
Internal candidates should submit a letter of interest and a current resume to the
Human Resources Department attention:
Sheila Dorsey, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources
Kalamazoo Public Schools
Department of Human Resources
1220 Howard Street
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008
Position will be posted until filled
Visit our web site at: http://www.kalamazoopublicschools.com
Kalamazoo Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.