Finance and Budget Director Residency
Finance and Budget Director Residency
Wayne County Regional Educational Service Agency (WRESA) provides leadership and services to the 33 local school districts and 110 charter schools that educate over 285,000 students. WRESA is committed to the process of continuous improvement through service, leadership, collaboration, and excellence, and is a goals-driven organization that empowers staff to maximize resources to support student achievement.
This position is designed to provide individuals with finance and accounting background the training, tools, and experience necessary to function in the position as a lead business and finance administrator in a local school district in Michigan. The residency is intended to have a duration of 24 months. During the residency, the successful candidate will be provided with a minimum of 80 hours of classroom training on school finance, in Michigan, as well as multiple project based experiential opportunities in multiple venues. The goal of this position is to prepare an individual to be responsible for the administration of the overall financial operations of a district, including all business services functions, grant administration, budget development, labor negotiations, maintenance and operations, transportation, management information systems and risk management.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate for the Finance and Budget Director Residency position will demonstrate, finance and accounting expertise and management competencies in communications, analytical skills, self-management, leadership, and project and staff management.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cash and Investment Analysis
- General Ledger Analysis
- Tax reconciliation
- Finance Software Implementation
- RFP Development and review
- Grant Management
- District level finance projects and analysis
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or other related field required.
- Master’s Degree or experience as a Certified Public Accountant preferred.
- Three (3) years of experience in a professional finance, accounting or budget role preferred.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Power Point, Access (or other data base) and Google platforms.
- Experience in computerized accounting systems preferred.
- Experience in preparing for a year end audit.
SKILLS AND TRAINING
- Understanding of the budgeting process.
- Understanding of Fund Accounting.
- Ability to perform and communicate complex financial analysis.
- Understanding of Internal Financial Controls and their impact the accuracy of financial reporting.
- Understanding of cash management processes, including cash flow analysis and forecasting.
- Knowledge of State and Federal Grant Management.
- Functional understanding of business office sub-departments of payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and purchasing.
- The ability to understand the work of the other departments in and organization in order to provide effective support to organizational initiatives.
- The ability to work in a culturally diverse environment with a deep understanding of the implications to the work.
- Strength in listening, verbal and written communication, organizational and presentation skills.
The residency is intended to have a duration of 24 months.
Salary: $48,110 - $75,101 (Non-Bargaining). Comprehensive benefits package including health/dental/vision/life and long-term disability insurance. Generous paid time off and membership in the Michigan Public Schools Employee Retirement System www.michigan.gov/ors.
Application Process and Timeline: Internal and external applicants must complete and submit an online application at http://www.applitrack.com/resa/OnlineApp/default.aspx (Job ID #10539) by 3:00 p.m., Thursday, May 17, 2018 in order to be considered.
Wayne County Regional Educational Service Agency (Wayne RESA) provides leadership and services to the 33 local school districts and 110 charter schools that educate almost 275,000 students. Wayne RESA is committed to the process of continuous improvement through service, leadership, collaboration, and excellence, and is a goals-driven organization that empowers staff to maximize resources to support student achievement.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER