School District: BANGOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Deadline: May 16, 2018
The Board of Education of Bangor Public Schools is conducting a search for its next Superintendent. It is expected that the superintendent will be in place by July 1, 2018.
About the District
The Bangor Public Schools district is located in Van Buren County and includes the City of Bangor, Village of Breedsville and a portion of 6 townships. The schools are located in Bangor, a city of 1,300 residents, located on the West side of Van Buren County. Bangor is conveniently located between South Haven and Kalamazoo in South Western Michigan. The district has an enrollment of just over 1130 students. Bangor Public Schools consists of a preschool, an elementary school (K – 4), a middle school (5 – 8), and a high school (9 – 12) and has a Career Education Center as well as being a part of the Van Buren Intermediate School District Career and Technical Center. Tri-County Head Start and the Van Buren ISD have programs in the local school buildings. The VBISD Behavior Education Center, serving students county wide, is in the district. The schools are conveniently located within the city limits on three campus sites, complete with an updated elementary school and updated athletic facilities.
Bangor Public Schools offer a high quality education in grades Kindergarten through Twelve, specializing in programs for our students varying abilities and interests. We are very proud of the additions, upgrades and improvements to our K-12 facilities. The school system is located in an area with many farms and lakes with nearby access to Lake Michigan. The district has a dedicated teaching staff focused on the success of all children. Parents in the district are an integral part of the success of all students.
Instructional Staff, Support Staff and Administrators: 148
Debt Retirement Millage: total debt mills levied Dec 1, 2017: 4.7455
Budgeted Expenditures for FY18: $12,357,184
June 30, 2017 Fund Balance: $1,044,710 (Approximately 8.73 %)
Selection Criteria: Michigan Administrative Certificate, or equivalent, or working towards this Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership/Curriculum, or equivalent preferred
Minimum of three years successful experience building principal or central office experience
The Bangor Public Schools Board of Education has determined that the following criteria are those which are the most highly sought in a new superintendent:
- A visionary leader with professional ethics, capable of leading the district
- A school leader who is approachable and treats everyone with respect and dignity
- Demonstrates effective communications skills (writing, public speaking and listening); and excellent interpersonal, public relations and marketing skills
- Dedication to educational excellence and the success of all students, valuing diversity
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with effective curriculum, instruction, professional development, data, assessment and best practices to improve teaching and student achievement
- Leadership experience in a traditional public school setting that reflects a record of success and that includes: classroom teaching and building principal/central office experience
- A commitment to the school system and the community
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in Michigan public school finance and fiscal management
- Knowledge of facility maintenance and operations including: support services, facility studies, improvements and student transportation
- Demonstrate involvement and knowledge of public education at the local, intermediate, state and federal levels
- Visible throughout the district and actively engaged with school and community activities with ability to manage crisis situations
- Proven leadership ability with skills in collaboration, successful systems, creative problem solving, and team building
Salary and Contract Information
The Board will offer a comprehensive, multi-year contract with a salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should complete and submit the Van Buren ISD online application at https://www.applitrack.com/vbisd/onlineapp/default.aspx
Completed on-line applications must be submitted no later than 4:00 PM on Wednesday, May 16, 2018.
No “hard copy”, fax or emailed copies accepted. All materials will be treated confidentially through the screening process only upon the written request of the candidate.
All questions regarding the search should be submitted to Jeff Mills, Van Buren ISD Superintendent, 269- 674-8091, email@example.com.
Applicants are advised not to make direct contact with any member of the Board of Education.
Application deadline – 4:00 PM, Wednesday, May 16, 2018
Selection of candidates for first interviews – by May 23, 2018
Public Interviews – Week of May 28th, 2018
Second Round of Public Interviews – Week of June 4th, 2018
Site or in-district visit - To be determined
Start date - July 1, 2018
The Board may make exceptions to this profile, process and/or timeline to ensure selection of the best possible candidate. The services of Van Buren ISD have been secured to assist the Board in the search process and in the screening of candidates. The Board of Education will make all decisions with respect to process, evaluation of candidates, and appointment of the successful candidate.
Board of Education
Ruth Fuentes, President, Sue Bray, Vice-President, Sarah Gray, Secretary, Derek Babcock, Treasurer, Levon Mock, Trustee, Betsy Finch, Trustee, Jen Zordan, Trustee
The superintendent search will be conducted with due regard to the Michigan Open Meetings Act (Public Act 267 of 1976) requirement of open meetings for all public body deliberations, decisions and interviews.
Bangor Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer.