Lakeview High School Assistant Principal
Lakeview School District is dedicated to organizational excellence and supports and encourages the development and implementation of multicultural perspectives across all areas of the organization, the celebration of diversity, and the assets that diversity brings to Lakeview School District.
Lakeview School District is located on the south side of Battle Creek, an economically and culturally diverse community of 53,000 located in south-central lower Michigan. The Lakeview School District is a highly respected, dynamic public school system, which seeks implantation of meaningful change with the goal of responsibly restructuring the District's educational programs.
Lakeview School District is a comprehensive school of approximately 3,850 students in grades K-12 with 500 faculty and support staff members with an annual General Fund Budget of $34 million. The District is comprised of six school buildings, four K-4 elementary buildings, one 5-8 middle school building and one high school.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaming with the Lakeview High School administrative team to lead the high school around all issues related to student culture, student behavior and discipline, student-teacher relationships and student success. The LHS Assistant Principal will be responsible for ensuring the day-to-day operations of the school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In close collaboration with the Principal, ensuring that Lakeview High School provides learning environments for students that support:
- Learning of content for every student
- Development of student social-emotional skills
- Learning of comportment appropriate to a school context
- Development of positive and supportive relationships between staff and students and among students.
- Leading the development and delivery, in close collaboration with the Principal, of all staff professional development and school improvement efforts with the goal of satisfying (A) the above.
- Lead all school efforts around implementation of the Code of Conduct as detailed in the Student Handbook. This position is the lead disciplinarian for the school.
- Supporting the other Assistant Principal and in close collaboration with the Principal, that Lakeview High School provides the highest quality:
- Classroom instruction
- Support services for students
- Overall school culture for staff, students, and the community
- Supervising and evaluating professional and support staff, along with the Principal and the other Assistant Principal. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Building instructional staff as needed
- The Assistant Dean of Students
- Secretaries that report directly to the Assistant Principal
- Overseeing and managing building security processes and procedures, including but not limited to:
- Scheduling, coordinating, and documenting all building safety drills
- Supervision of athletic events, dances and other extra-curricular events in coordination with the Athletic Director, the other Assistant Principal, and the Principal
- Coordinating lunch supervision
- Assisting with canine searches
- Assist in review and updating of staff and student handbooks, and communicating changes to teachers and students
- Staff check out at the end of the school year
- Performing any and all other duties assigned by the Principal
Qualified candidates must be able to substantiate through documentation and references that they have the following qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in education-related field
- 5 years highly successful experience as a classroom teacher in a core academic area
- Highly successful experience as school building administrator
- Strive to ensure equity among programs and learning opportunities for staff, students and parents
- Regular, dependable attendance is a critical performance factor
Proven ability as a leader who can:
- Articulate and successfully move staff toward a clear vision of excellent school culture and relationships.
- Create and deliver successful and engaging professional development opportunities for teachers both individually and in large groups
- Positively influence the behavior of adults during stressful or challenging times
- Build positive and supportive relationships with all types of students, especially those who are at risk of low levels of school success
- Work positively with parents and students across socio-economic and racial diversity
- Work positively and productively with staff of all levels of ability
- Proven exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Proven exceptional organizational skills
Preferred Qualifications: Qualified candidates should be able to substantiate through documentation and references that they have the following qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Curriculum and Instruction and/or Secondary Administration or current participation in planned program to complete one of those credentials.
- Training and highly successful experience in instructional coaching
- Exceptional technology skills
- Experience working with students in a diverse, multicultural academic setting
- Bilingual preferred
Interested candidates must submit, via the District’s on-line application system, a cover letter addressed to James Baker, Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources, a resume, and reference letters including letters from current or previous supervisors.
A competitive salary combined with a comprehensive fringe benefit package will be offered to the successful applicant.