Middle School Assistant Principal
POSITION: Middle School Assistant Principal
Discovery Middle School
Plymouth-Canton is seeking to employ culturally responsive educators who will be able to support and sustain equity-focused instruction for all learners. These educators create high achieving learning environments. They identify and systematically apply differentiated instruction and assessment that improves achievement for all learners from all racial groups.
1. Possess (or immediately qualify for) a valid Michigan teaching certificate.
2. Possess (or immediately qualify for) a valid Michigan Administrator certificate.
3. Possess Master's degree from an accredited institution with emphasis in educational leadership, school administration and/or curriculum or other related field.
4. Five years successful teaching and/or administrative experience at the elementary, middle school or high school level preferred.
5. Demonstrated ability to provide leadership that results in teamwork and collaborative working relationships.
6. Demonstrated leadership in the ability to communicate a clear vision and to work cooperatively with colleagues to attain the vision.
7. Evidence of ability to establish working relationships that result in mutual respect.
8. Ability to speak clearly and concisely both in oral and written communication.
9. Strong knowledge base in elementary, middle and high school curriculum, instruction and assessment.
10. Knowledge of federal and state educational mandates.
11. Demonstrate a willingness to take professional risks to improve opportunities for students.
12. Strong interpersonal and public relations skills.
REPORTS TO: Middle School Principal
1. Provides leadership for middle school curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
2. Communicates the philosophy, goals and objectives of the middle school program to the students, parents, staff members, and to the community at large.
3. Provides leadership to meet and exceed the standards in the state accreditation program, school improvement framework, and federal adequate yearly progress.
4. Monitors adherence to the approved curriculum and appropriate instructional practices.
5. Assists with the responsibility for the administration of middle school assessments and the reporting of results.
6. Contributes to the design and implementation of professional staff development programs to support middle school and district goals.
7. Works collaboratively as a member of the middle school leadership team to meet and exceed middle school and district goals.
8. Coordinates with the Principal and the district Human Resources Department the recruiting, interviewing, screening, and recommending of qualified candidates for middle school staff positions.
9. Evaluates and reviews the performance of staff.
10. Provides guidance in resolving conflict with staff, administrators, and parents.
11. Creates and maintains a safe environment for all students and staff.
12. Maintains high standards of student conduct and enforces discipline according to due process standards.
13. Supervises and actively participates in afternoon and evening school activities as assigned.
14. Assists the Principal in developing, implementing and monitoring the budget, which supports the middle school instructional program.
15. Works cooperatively with other administrators in the areas of pupil accounting, facility use, staff assignments, financial resource development, and coordination of schedules.
16. Ensures compliance with all policies of the Board of Education and administrative guidelines and procedures by administrators, staff, and students.
17. Attends and participates in Board of Education meetings, as well as in appropriate committee meetings to support the work of the middle schools, district, and community.
18. Bending, lifting, and overhead work required
19. Performs such other tasks and assume such other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Principal.
BEGINNING DATE: January 2018
SALARY RANGE: Middle School Assistant Principal salary range $77,639 – $102,685
Salary commensurate with background & experience. 43 week position.
Full year salary will be prorated based on start date.
METHOD OF APPLICATION: Two Step Process
Step 1 - Complete the on-line application https://hr-applications.pccsk12.com/Job_List.aspx
Click on NEW ACCOUNT to begin the application.
Please complete ALL sections of the online application including the Administrator Supplemental section and upload the following documents in the File Upload section:
• Cover Letter (attach in resume section)
Address letter to Dr.Liz Vartanian-Gibbs
• Three letters of recommendation
• Copies of official transcripts for all degrees earned
• Copies of valid Michigan teaching certificate and administrator certificate
Please note that documents attached to your online application will need to be one of the following file formats: .jpg, .tif, .doc, .pdf, or .gif. Files should be no larger than 8.5" x 11" scanned in black and white or 256 grayscale. Because all required documents are attached to the online application, it is not necessary to submit paperwork to our office.
Step 2 - Apply for the position
From the main page of the online application system in the ‘Available Jobs’ section, click APPLY on the left-hand side of the page next to the posting. The job will then appear at the top of the page in the ‘Jobs You Have Applied For’ section.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: Friday, January 12, 2018 - 4:00 p.m.