Special Education Resource Room Teacher
Position: Special Education Resource Room Teacher
Reports to: Director of Special Education and Principal
General Description: Under the direction of the school principal, the special education teacher plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students with disabilities in a variety of educational settings. The person in this position is responsible for creating a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction for students with disabilities, such that the students benefit from the general education curriculum to the greatest extent possible when supported with supplemental aides, accommodations, and other needed supports.
- Understands, accepts and abides by the Covenant House Academies philosophy and mission statement in all his/her school activities.
- Write lessons plans to accommodate IEP curriculum.
- Assists with the implementation of the IEP for each student served.
- Prepares, adapts, and delivers instructional material.
- Develops suitable curricula and effective teaching methods based on assessment of students’ needs.
- Supervises students in classrooms, school buildings and social-curricular activities.
- Selects appropriate texts, learning aids, materials, and supplies.
- Provides formal and informal assessment of students’ academic status and learning styles.
- Works with students and teachers to identify, teach, and implement accommodations for student who are eligible for services in the general education and special education settings.
- Schedules IEPC meetings as required.
- Maintains accurate and complete student records, and prepare reports on student activities, as required by laws, school policies, and administrative regulations.
- Participates in the Child Study Team (CST).
- Continuously maintain current training and updates pertaining to administrative guidelines and compliance.
- Maintains confidentiality concerning all student information and any professional matters.
- Follows all Federal and State laws pertaining to IDEA, MARSE, FERPA, etc.
- Utilizes resources to understand special education law, timelines etc.
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Ability to understand the awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of homeless and at-risk youth that Covenant House Academies serves
- Ability to communicate assessment results, in written and oral forms, to parents and professionals
- Ability to develop, implement, and evaluate behavior plans for use in general and special education settings
- Ability to prioritize tasks, allocate time, and maintain schedule flexibility
- BA or BS Degree or higher
- Current certification as a Special Education Teacher
- Satisfactory completion of criminal history check
SUBMIT LETTER OF INTEREST ALONG WITH CURRENT RESUME BY FAX OR EMAIL TO: SHAWNTA ALSTON, (FAX (313) 558-9023, EMAIL email@example.com).
Youth Vision Solutions is an equal opportunity employer. YVS will not discriminate against any otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disabilities, or other legally protected status.